March 16, 2018|
AAA: Some 88 Million Americans Plan to Take Family Vacations This Year
OMAHA, NE (March 15, 2018) – Led by Millennials, some 88 million Americans plan to take family vacations this year. According to the latest research from AAA Travel, 44 percent of millennials are planning a family getaway, more than members of Generation X (39 percent) or baby boomers (32 percent).
“Just like generations before them, millennials see a family vacation as one of the best ways to create memories and reconnect with loved ones,” said Vicky Evans, Assistant Vice President, Travel Sales Development, AAA – The Auto Club Group. “No matter their age, families are looking to for new experiences while going on not just one, but multiple vacations throughout the year.”
International Travel Gains Popularity in 2018
As travelers seek new sights, AAA expects family trips abroad to be a hot trend in 2018. Of families who will take a trip this year, 35 percent plan to visit an international destination – a nine percentage point increase from just two years ago. Based on advance travel bookings, AAA predicts the top five most likely international destinations for families will be:
- Cancun, Mexico
- Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
- Montego Bay, Jamaica
- Rome, Italy
- Dublin, Ireland
“We’ve seen increased demand for international travel overall, and that trend is now starting to appeal to families,” Evans continued. “Some of the most popular international vacations that families book through AAA are cruises and tours. These travel ideal groups of any size, and are customizable for any occasion.”
Road Trip Ready
For families staying stateside, gas prices – the highest prices since 2014 – are not stopping vacation planners from packing up their cars for a road trip. They remain the most popular option for family vacations, with nearly two-thirds (64 percent) of those planning a trip expected to hit the roads.
Additional AAA family travel highlights for 2018:
Tips for Planning your Next Vacation
- Families are taking more trips per year. One in four (27 percent) traveling families is planning to take three or more family vacations in the next 12 months, 12 percentage points more than in 2016.
- Family travelers are looking for new experiences. Three-quarters (73 percent) of families that are planning a vacation this year are seeking a destination they have not previously visited.
- Families are seeking R&R. When looking for these new experiences, families are choosing destinations with attractions such as beaches and mountains (61 percent), opportunities for sightseeing (59 percent) and relaxation (56 percent).
- Book Early – Booking early gives you both the luxury of selecting the best cruise cabin or preferred seat on your flight, at a more competitive rate. As hotels, cruises, and flights fill-up, prices usually rise due to lower availability.
- Use a Travel Agent – Not only can they recommend where to go and what to do, but also share exclusive upgrades, find competitive pricing, and help you find what you need to know about your destination. Visit AAA.com/TravelAgent to find a travel advisor near you.
- Consider Travel Insurance – When the unexpected happens, travel insurance can be your safety net. Hurricanes, flight cancellations, even illness while overseas could cost you hundreds or thousands of dollars. While travel insurance can vary in both coverage and price, you can find policies that reimburse you for health emergencies and/or out-of- pocket expenses due to a delayed/cancelled flight or other situations that prevent you from going. Interestingly, half of all claims are based on things that occur before the trip.
- Know Your Destination – Are you traveling abroad? Can you bring your pet? Refer to the U.S. Department of State to find information regarding visa requirements, what you can bring, and detailed travel alerts and warnings.
- Know Your Benefits – Take advantage of benefits provided by credit cards and membership programs. For example, AAA members can save money on dining, shopping, hotels, rental cars, and attraction tickets. Click here to learn more.
Other articles in Travel: